Sunday, May 30, 2021

Cibolo Crossing Stampede 5K Race Report; May 29, 2021


This morning's Cibolo Crossing Stampede 5K in Schertz, Texas was my "at least" 898th race since starting to run in 2003.

I say "at least" as there's at least two years (2009-2010) I don't know if I have a complete ledger of races.

Rain was going to be in play anywhere you raced today, Saturday, May 29, 2021, up and down the Interstate 35 corridor all the way from San Antonio to the D-FW Metroplex.

I really wanted a third go at the Larry Don's 7 & 7K in Gustine, but I want to be able to drop a few more counties this weekend.

I have run a mile or more in 185 Texas counties with 69 to go.

If all goes well, I plan to at least get four before making my way north for tomorrow's Bad Ass Texas 10K in Waco.

So I drove over last evening here to San Antonio and found a Hampton Inn close to the race site that will be a launching point for today's mile-plus running activities.

I made it to the race site at 7 a.m. for an 8 a.m. on-time race start (and it was) and had a chance to visit with good friend Scott Wood of Athlete Guild, who was timing the race today.

After we visited a little bit, I scoped the course out a little bit and knew from looking at the course map that it was going to be a double loop, where on the second loop we would be cut short of the full distance to get the overall distance right.  Was just asking if somebody was going to be there to keep people from cutting it short.

I hate running a course short -- well, or long, for that matter.

At about 7:40 a.m., I did something that I normally don't do:  run a mile warm-up.  Nothing too hard.  Just 11 minutes easy.  I should do more of it, but it did - other than a little rain - get me sufficiently soaked pre-race.

I've never been a fan of standing in a corral before COVID so I didn't again today and was the last one to cross the start line.

We started in between two buildings, through a short driveway and then a right out on to a completely closed road.  We went no more than a tenth of a mile or two and then we took a right to do a short out and back to get the distance right.

On the loop south, we had a short incline and then a steep long one before we got the mile one marker which was just after the turn to go back north.

Mile 1 was 9:27.00.

There was a short incline and then another long gradual one back close to the start and then another turnaround to come back south.

Before the place where we made the right hand turn for the quick out and back was mile 2.

With the two inclines, it slowed me down a little to 10:07.04 in the second mile for a total of 19:34.04.  Am thinking to myself, "OK, 9:45.  I can live with that with the inclines."

On the third and last full mile, we got three inclines and that came in at 10:00.98.

The last one tenth of a mile was 1:07.07 for a total time of 30:42.09, but I'm thinking that the mile marker was placed wrong because I was, for me, half hauling butt and I normally can crank off a 54-second last tenth of a mile.

I talked to a runner in the parking lot and he had 3.08 miles on his wrist device.

Good effort.  I'll take it after a complete off day yesterday.

This was my 19th race of the year and 11 of those have been new to me.

GVRAT miles = 146.781 
Just off pace at 29 days = 147.61 based on 621 miles (6.2 miles = 10K; 1000K)
A bit more off pace at 29 days = 152.82 based on 642.9 miles

And ...

January 1 - May 24 (144 days)
217.86 miles running - 220.5 miles walking = 438.36 miles combined + 170.15 miles light walking = 608.51 miles on foot.  473.47 miles cycling.  10,930 meters rowing.
May 25 - May 29 (5 days)
4.1 miles running - 16.03 miles walking = 20.13 miles combined + 5.77 miles light walking = 25.9 miles on foot.  30.3 miles cycling.  6,217 meters rowing.


No comments: