Saturday, December 16, 2023

Spindle Tree parkrun #100 5K and Saturday Ramblings; December 16, 2023


Have a little time here on Saturday afternoon to write:  a favorite opportunity of mine to document life and keep my writing skills sharp.

At times, I tell people that I'm grateful that I don't feel my age, but there are other times where my body reminds me what the number is.

Yesterday to today is one of those times.

I thought about going to Hammond last night to see a game at Southeastern Louisiana University and then - on the way back home - to LSU-Eunice today at noon to check off two more college basketball gyms in Louisiana.

However, I wanted to be "rested" to drive to McKinney this morning to see the NCAA Division II national football championship at McKinney ISD Stadium - which would have been a new one for me - between Harding University and Colorado School of Mines.  

And then maybe to AT&T to see the last UIL 11-man game.

I was up at 6 a.m., but today was not that day.

But then, I had another decision to make:  do I go and run parkrun.

I was too slow on the trigger last Saturday before going to Beaumont for Waverly's graduation from Lamar University, and I went to the gym for my normal 33-minute elliptical and back home to row for about 20 minutes.

Showered and out the door by 6:55 a.m., I made it just before 7:25 a.m., but I often forget that the eight that I've been to now at Spindle Tree - few have started right on-time at 7:30 a.m.

And, that's OK.  It is put on by volunteers and it doesn't cost a dime.

Some of it was the perfect 50 degrees temperatures, but the rest of my good race this morning was from my exercise and diet work.  I wouldn't call it "hard work", but hard enough to keep making progress.

30:28.42 was my time.  Three loops of 9:46.96 - 10:01.88 - 10:04.47 and then the last bit at 35.11.

I always wonder if it isn't a tad short, but the thing is is that it is a time trial course - like the old Run The Woodlands 5K - in that it never changes so you have performances to benchmark yourself against.

This event lives and breathes due to volunteers.  I need to get out there to return the favor.  I haven't yet.

I've talked the event up as well as many others - especially as I've always been upset that The Township denied the race going back to The Waterway (yet now a for-profit entity is using it to put on a regular race).

Lots of people that are always good to see included:  Ken Johnson, Vincent Attanucci, Randall Ivins, Alan Hedengren, Kevin Baker, Katerina Savelieva and the Park family, Jerritt, Kristi and Riley.

I was surprised I stayed ahead of Vincent, but he runs every single day - and is coming off of the Dallas Marathon, and I was grateful that Jerritt didn't lap me.  

That was a win, even though I know he probably could have if he wanted.

He said it was my Christmas present!  Thanks, Jerritt!

I then moved over to Hughes Landing to hold court will one of my best friends, Bill Dwyer.

He's got a lot of people heading to his group as a result of some turmoil in some parts of the local running community.  

Bill is the antithesis to drama in as much as that he's had some in his group over the years that he hadn't taken action on - with two exceptions.  (I always told him that there were a few others that he could have with.)

Bill's like a pastor that doesn't ever want to take anybody off of the church's membership rolls, even though they haven't sat in a pew for five years.  

That pastor still believes that they need to be shepherded.

That's not narcissism on the clergy's part, it is just part of their mission to serve others and give the glory to God.

Bill's always available to help, if people desire the assistance and direction in their training.  If not, he'll tell everybody "Good job" - usually something more specific, actually - and to keep at it!

Alright, I went to the gym just a few ago - and am getting ready for a basketball doubleheader.

I will be going to Stafford Municipal School District Gymnasium to see Texas College vs. North American University.  It will be the 91st gymnasium in Texas to see a college basketball game.

Then I'll make my way to Houston Christian University - will always be HBU - at 7 p.m. to see the Huskies host Champion Christian College, out of Hot Springs, Arkansas.  The Huskies are 1-7 while Champion Christian enters tonight's game at 6-6.

No comments: