Friday, January 10, 2020

2020: What's The Biggest Need?


For those of you who follow along, how can I best contribute to the sport(s)?

Or if I don't contribute at all and just do my own thing, is that the best?

Announcing, while I've enjoyed it and think that I do it fairly well, has worn thin on me in some ways.

Being slow paid by a few producers over the years has been a major discouragement.  To me, it tells me that I'm really not appreciated and am just simply taken for granted for.

I still laugh remembering a race director, who I was working for, tell me to my face that "announcers are a dime a dozen", but later asked me if I was interested in announcing another one of their larger events.

I knew exactly what it was all about:  I could save them money from their current situation.  They were looking for the hometown discount.

If they would have come to the table and said, "We'd like for you to announce for us and here's how much we would propose paying you."  I might have taken it seriously.

(There have been a few producers whose money is the best in town and Texas:  Andy Stewart, Robby Sabban, Bill Gardner, The Woodlands Township and Jana Landry, to name a few.)

However, I did ask a timer that I know this summer the following question:  "If I charged more (my services are fairly cheap), would I desire doing it more?"

Their answer was basically that you either want to or you don't.

I basically concur with that notion, and some of it was that I just wasn't having any fun any longer in certain cases, not because of people but just situations.

Do you enjoy race reports from the different places that I choose to run in?

Do you want me to report on individual races?

Let me know.

I enjoy contributing, but I have to feel like I'm moving the ball forward in meaningful ways.

One thing that I'm thankful for is that I still get asked a lot about various items, which I treasure and genuinely appreciate it.

That said, I appreciate your friendship and support.

Let's see what lies ahead for 2020.

I have a Greater Houston Run Challenge idea.  Would you like to see it?  :-)

No comments: