Sunday, March 11, 2012

I Have A Half Marathon In 13 Days? Yikes!


Yikes! I have a half marathon in less than two weeks - the Memorial Hermann Sugar Land Half Marathon on Sunday, March 25 - and a marathon in about five weeks or so -- the Oz Marathon in Olathe, Kansas the next-to-last weekend of the month.

Today was the first time that I've actually run since Rocky Raccoon and it wasn't pretty.

Normally, I can knock out an hour on the treadmill. Easy. I lasted 15 minutes. It hurt. I'll figure it out, of course, but it might take adding minutes every day to get back.

It is almost as if I had an injury.

The cardio, of course, is fine. I did 30 miles on the road bike during The Woodlands Marathon, including about 13 of those in somewhat of an interval mode. That, and while hollering, "Lead runner, please move to the right. Thank you!"

So tonight it was a simple 15 minutes on the treadmill, 50 minutes on the elliptical and a solid 30 minutes on the stationary bike before I hop off to California in the morning.

Speaking of marathons, I'd love to do the Delaware Marathon on the second Sunday in May; however, I don't quite think my Mom would appreciate it. I was gone one other time during Mother's Day and that was inadvertent. It was in 2004 and I was working in Youngstown, Ohio, but I stayed over to do the Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis, Indiana. 30,000 runners including a lap on the Speedway.

Hot and fun, but something I try not to be out of town for anymore.

Never know how much longer that we'll have our parents. Therefore, I at least try to keep Mother's Day and Father's Day away from any athletic interferences.

No comments: