Friday, June 25, 2021

Thursday Moves on The Waterway; June 24, 2021


Hit the Woodlands Waterway again Thursday night as it will become off-limits for a couple of days while I'm on call.  Will be able to get back out there on Monday evening.

Basically, I go there so I can at least see people while I'm walking.

It was good to see Dan Jordan and Susan Rouse and I think it was Jim and Susan Griffis with them, but am not totally sure as it was just past turning dark.  

I saw some other folks shortly after I got started, but I was down on the sidewalk and they were up on the Trolley pathway.  Probably just as good that they didn't see me.  Three of the four I knew - and they're all training for Ironman Texas - and have no issue with, but it was just better nothing was said.

Hadn't had a good breakfast in awhile so I went to Denny's in Shenandoah before hand.

I've been moving through this book that Waverly got me for Father's Day called The Listening Road:  One Man's Ride Across America To Star Conversations About God.

Easy, yet fascinating read.  Basically a Dallas-area pastor put together a small team of people to ride their bikes from coast-to-coast to have engaging conversations about God despite the divisiveness of our nation today.

Parked my car again near the Riva Row Boat House primarily because it gives me some distance options, and I knew that early on I would have to hit the restroom - which I did less than a mile and a half in.

Basically, I walked 4.33 miles in 1:03:32 for a pace of 14:40 per mile.  

I felt like I was moving at a pretty brisk pace.

May (31) GVRAT miles = 170.081
June (24) GVRAT miles = 123.77
Total GVRAT miles - 293.851
Ahead of pace at 55 days = 279.96 based on 621 miles (6.2 miles = 10K; 1000K)
Slightly ahead of pace at 55 days = 289.83 based on 642.9 miles 

As of almost 12 noon on Friday, June 25, 2021, I'm in 2,262nd place among 5,198 participants.  :-)

I ended my May 25 to June 24 reporting period with 167.10 miles, 41.02 running and the rest walking to break a sweat.

Pretty happy about that.  Also 139.5 miles on the bike.  Really need to increase that.  It is so easy to do, plus I get to read a lot.

I signed up for my races on Saturday (Lake Charles, Louisiana), Sunday (Orange Beach, Alabama) and Monday (Orlando, Florida).

I'm looking forward to meeting my friends Keith and Rebecca Bell Saturday evening in Fairhope, Alabama for dinner.  

It was also really great yesterday to get an unsolicited e-mail, just checking in on me, from TAPPS Executive Director Bryan Bunselmeyer.  

Thankful that God keeps putting people in my path to remind me that my most recent challenge isn't how everybody sees or deals with me.  Pretty thankful for that.  Actually, very thankful.

1 comment:

Richard Ferguson said...

Hi Jon,

My name is Richard Ferguson. I wrote a column called "Masters Matters" for Runner Triathlete News for a number of years. I'm 82 and I live in Mexico. I'm writing novels now.

I thought I'd tell you about my latest book: Spirit Runner. It recently won a gold medal for sports novels in the Global Book Awards. I appreciate this award because it's for all sports and all ages. The criteria for a book to qualify to be considered are strict. They first consider the appearance, formatting, and number and quality of reviews the books has received. It's a little like the Boston Marathon in that it must qualify to compete. Then professional judges evaluate it and give it a score. Finally, the opinions of the general public are figured in.

It's the story of a boy who dreams of being an Olympic marathoner like his father, but who faces many obstacles. It spans his life from seven-years-old to twenty, a little like "The Power of One" or "Forrest Gump". Ben Harvey wrote me about the book and said he'd bought more copies for some of his friends.

I don't think I ever met you. I'm glad you're carrying on informing people about Houston and Texas races.

I and my wife Ann (she was killed in an accident in 2013) were members of Terlingua Running Club.

If you've interested in reading Spirit Runner, I'll gift you an ebook or if you don't read ebooks, I'll have a paperback sent to you. You can see something about it at https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Runner-Richard-Ferguson-ebook/dp/B0786LYPKL/

Thank you for your time,
Richard