Friday, July 19, 2019

What's In Your Running Weekend?


I have a massive spreadsheet that contains all kinds of cool things.

From a running perspective, I can tell you the following:

+  I’ve run a race in 88 different Texas counties.

+  I’ve run a mile or more in 122 different Texas counties (34 more).

+  I’ve run a race in 167 different Texas cities, towns or census-designated places.

+  I’ve run a mile or more in 220 different Texas cities, towns or … you get it.

+  And, finally, a race in 178 other North American cities or towns.

Cool stuff.

Five months ago, I made a plan to fly to Amarillo today and catch “new to me” minor league ballparks in Albuquerque and Amarillo while running a mile in as many different Texas counties in the Panhandle that I could.

(Actually, the ballpark in Amarillo is brand new this year.  The Sod Poodles.  Really.)

That is when I thought my current work project would have moved into a different phase and being mobile on a Friday would have been OK.

However, as the week went on – and flying on Southwest (with the ability to cancel and bank the money), I decided that wasn’t going to be the wisest move and that proved to be true.

The bigger question, though, was:  What was I going to do this weekend?

Granted, the number of races were fewer – and I even looked at if there were some options on Southwest to fly somewhere Friday evening and back Sunday night, using some of the Southwest money I have banked.  (Four flights.  Sigh.)

I considered running a 5K in Leonard, northeast of McKinney, and then driving to Amarillo to see a Saturday night baseball game.

It was just the drive back that was a little daunting for even me.

So I settled on the following:

+  The inaugural Miss Ima 5K in Quitman, which is the county seat of Wood County.  It is an 8 a.m. start and will represent a race in Texas county #89.  (Secret:  #90 will happen in two weeks.)

+  Will try to get in three or four museums while moving towards Waco.  Right now, I have targeted museums here in Van and then in Ennis and Waxahachie.  (Will dig a little bit more after I write some more.)

+  All the way getting to Waco where I’ll run the 2nd annual Howl at the Moon 5K that starts and finishes at the Suspension Bridge along the Brazos.  It is a 10 p.m. start so I’ll spend the night there.  (I ran this race last year and I hope it isn't short again.)

+  Then get up and drive an hour and a half for church at Central Baptist Church in College Station – and their 9:45 a.m. service.

The two races will be my 46th and 47th for the year.

I left Spring at about 4 p.m., made the proverbial stop at Buc-ee’s in Madisonville and grabbed a bite to eat in Athens before going through Murchison and Ben Wheeler to get to the hotel here in Van.

I stayed here at this Fairfield inn last year when I did Rob Goyen’s new TROT race just north of Tyler and Waverly and I will be back here in two weeks as we’ll rest for the Canton Half Marathon on Sunday, August 4.

Really nice facility that’s been open for less than two years and hasn’t taken on wear and tear from being right off of Interstate 20.

So until tomorrow, have a great Friday night.

No comments: