Saturday, August 4, 2012

Outrigger's 5K Race Report


My friend, Bill Dwyer, calls me an outlier.  I would qualify that.  I might be an "average" outlier.

Somebody like Michael Wardian would be a real, big-time outlier.

"Outlier" is a scientific term to describe things or phenomena that lie outside normal experience.

I thought having fun was normal.

It is about 2 p.m. and I'm at Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport.  I'm waiting to get on a plane to Las Vegas to run tomorrow morning's (at midnight) Extraterrestrial Midnight Half Moon Marathon.

If I'm successful, it will be a marathon finish in my 28th state of our great country.

So, sure, the normal thing to do would be to run a 5K.  Right?

Alright, I guess "outlier" might be appropriate.

Especially when you bring your time - in an effort to get back into better running shape and get ready for February's Rocky Raccoon 100 -- in the distance down to its lowest in the last 60 days.

I made the drive down to Seabrook for this morning's Outrigger's 5K.

It is one of those runner's races.  Just a simple out-and-back.  Two aid stations.  In my friend Bill's days, there might have only been one at the half way point.  (Disclaimer:  Bill is only 10 years older than me.)  I just wasn't running before 2003.

Ten-year age groups.  Otherwise, it is come out, run hard, drink beer, have some pizza and cookies, spend time with your friends and go home.

Of course, I ran the King Salmon Marathon in Cordova, Alaska last Saturday.  So a week later, I was toeing the line of a 5K, but I've actually done traditionally well the Saturday after a marathon in the past.

It is Texas.  It was warm and humid.

I hit the mile one marker in 9 minutes even.  That keeps coming down, which is a nice thing to see.  I just need to sustain it.  If I can, it gets me under 28, which I've done once - in August 2010.

The next two miles were almost equal - 9:48 and 9:49.  Sheesh, I actually walked a little in both of these miles.  That's what gives you the incentive to keep working hard -- and then work harder to stay there once the goal race comes about.

But I've made some pretty decent changes in diet -- cut out 98% of the sugary drinks and have increased my workout output.

So it was a 29:26 5K.  I'm happy.  Seriously, can't wait for it to get cooler as I love running in cool weather.

Nonetheless, I enjoy racing my way back into "shape" - for me.

I'm signed up for a 5K next Saturday and a pair of 10K's before wrapping up the month.

The next marathon beyond Sunday will probably come the first weekend after Labor Day.  Hopefully, it will be a little cooler in Bozeman, Montana, which is where I hope to run my next one for another new state.

The roll call of people is always fun to go through.  It is why I go to races.  I get to spend time - and talk to and with great people.

The Running Alliance Sport race crew was there:  Robby Sabban, Vicki Davis, Jay Lee, timer Richard Campbell and David Stockton.  Bay Area Running Club's Dennis Malloy and Veronica Hoge were manning the halfway aid station.

Always fun to talk with Suzy Seeley, who was pushed by Sabra Harvey.  The elder stateswoman of the two, in the 60-64 age group, sat on Suzy and passed her at the end, but it dragged Suzy under 21 minutes.

Alfonso Torres, June Harris and Michelle Bitterly were some of the other BARC regulars that were there.  Chatted a little with Buddy Brown, who frequents many of Robby's races.

Ken Johnson made the drive down from Huntsville.

Also had fun hanging out and talking with one of Karen Thibodeaux's photographers, Rhonda.

All in all a good morning.  Let's hope tomorrow morning is just as good.  I just don't know if to expect another 5:06 so soon.  This one might be a little bit more challenging, but it will be another state on the road to 50!

No comments: